(4) Loosen the knurled nut (9) and sep-
bracket and governor control bracket
brace (18) to the cylinder and crank-
a r a t e the bail (6), sediment bowl
case assembly (19 ) with the two cap-
( 1 1 ) , gasket, and screen from the
fuel strainer cover (5). Remove the
(5) Install the air shroud cover (2).
knurled nut from the bail screw and
(6) Position the two leather liners (6) and
bail screw nut (7) from the bail.
fuel tank on the bracket. Position the
(5) Remove the shutoff valve packing nut
two straps (10) around the fuel tank
(4) and valve (3) from the fuel
and bracket and install the two screws
strainer cover. Remove the needle
( 1 1 ) , lockwashers (12), and nuts
v a l v e from the packing nut. Remove
(13) that secure the straps (10).
the valve packing from the strainer
f. Reassembly and Installation (Model
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
(1) Clean all applicable parts in an ap-
s o l v e n t and dry
fuel tank and install gasket (3).
thoroughly. Blow out the fuel strain-
(2) Attach chain to fuel tank (6). Attach
er cover and screen with compressed
fuel tank cap (4) to chain and install
air if available.
(2) Inspect all applicable parts for cracks,
(3) Position fuel tank on bracket. Position
and other damage. Inspect
the two fuel tank straps (9) around
t h e needle valve and fittings for
bracket and tank and install screws
cracks, breaks, and damaged threads.
(7) and nuts (8).
(3) Replace a defective bowl and gasket.
c. Reassembly and Installation.
g. Reassembly a n d Instalhtion (Models
(1) Install the fuel shutoff valve (3) in
B M W - 4 5 2 - E N G and BMW-452-ENG-1).
the packing nut (4) and install the
(1) Place the fuel tank and the straps in
valve, packing nut, and packing in the
strainer cover (5). Tighten the pack-
(2) Replace the wires.
(2) Install the bail screw (8), bail screw
(7), and knurled nut (9) in the bail
fasten the strays (5) to the brackets.
(6). Position the screen, gasket, and
(4) Install the two screws (4), lockwash-
sediment bowl (11) in the strainer
ers (2), flat washers (1) and nuts (3)
cover and secure by installing the bail
that secure the two fuel tank straps
and tightening the knurled nut.
to the fuel tank.
(3) Install the fuel strainer outlet elbow
(5) Install drain plug (19) and replenish
(12) in the strainer cover.
fuel tank with proper grade of fuel.
(4) Install the fuel tank pipe nipple (1)
in the bottom of the fuel tank (2).
(5) Install the fuel strainer on the fuel
a. Removal and Disassembly.
tank pipe nipple. Connect the fuel
(1) Turn the fuel shutoff valve (3, fig.
strainer - to - carburetor tube (10) to
2-4) to the off position. Disconnect
the fuel strainer outlet elbow. Replen-
the fuel strainer - to - carburetor tube
ish, the fuel tank with the proper
(10) from the fuel strainer outlet el-
grade of fuel.
bow (12). Open the fuel shutoff valve
d. Field Expedient Repairs. If the engine
and drain the fuel from the fuel tank
fails to start or stops due to a clogged or de-
(2) into a suitable container.
fective fuel strainer, remove the fuel strainer
(2) Remove the fuel strainer from the
(see a above). Correct the fuel strainer - to -
fuel bank pipe nipple (1).
carburetor tube to the fuel tank outlet nipple
(3) Remove the fuel strainer outlet elbow
and operate the unit without the fuel strainer.
from the fuel strainer.