(3) Examine the spring for distort-
(1) Disconnect the control rod from the
ed couls and weak tension
control lever as described in a above.
(4) Inspect the fit of the swivel block in
(2) Open the carburetor throttle as far as
possible. Hold the control lever in the
the adjusting lever. It should operate
freely without excessive play.
full open position. With the control
rod and control lever in this position,
(5) Replace all defective parts.
c. Reassembly and Installation.
adjust the rod until it will exactly
(1) Secure the swivel block (45) and flat
aline with the hole in the control lev-
washer (42) to the adjusting lever
(15) by peening the end of the swiv-
(3) Connect the control rod to the con-
trol lever as described in c above.
(2) Position the support pin (47) in the
(4) Make sure the extension spring is po-
control bracket (39).
sitioned in the third hole in the con-
(3) Secure the control bracket to cylinder
countersunk screw and IET lockwash-
accordance w i t h instructions fur-
nished with the instrument.
(4) T i g h t e n the capscrew (16) that se
(6) Start the engine and allow it to warm
cures the control bracket brace (18)
against the control bracket and crank-
(7) Place the governor adjusting lever in
the full open position. The tacho-
(5) P o s i t i o n the adjusting lever (15),
meter should indicate an rpm of 2,625
c o m p r e s s i o n spring (38), and flat
with load. The rpm will vary with-
washer (46) on the support pin (47)
out load from 100 to 190 rpm higher
and secure with the cotter pin (37).
than the rpm with load.
(6) Position one of the nuts (41) on the
(8) Adjust the two locknuts on the ad-
spring adjusting screw (40). Position
justment screw until the desired read-
t h e adjusting screw in the swivel
ing is obtained on the tachometer.
block (45) and install the other lock-
More tension on the spring increases
rpm; less tension decreases rpm.
(7) Install the extension spring (44) on
(9) When the correct rpm is obtained,
the governor control lever (25) and
tighten the locknuts and recheck the
secure the lever to the governor yoke
a n d support bracket (23) with the
(10) Stop the engine and remove the ta-
Note. Be sure to install the extension
spring on the control lever in the same
3-40. Choke Control and
hole from which it was removed.
a. Choke Control Removal (Models BMW-
(8) Install the control rod (27) in the
452-ENG and BMW-452-ENG-1.
throttle shaft swivel block (28) and
adjust as in d below. Secure the con-
disconnect the choke wire (13) from
trol rod in the control lever with the
the choke arm (12).
cotter pin (26).
(2) Loosen the screw (14) and disconnect
(9) Connect the extension spring to the
the cable (16) from the bracket (15).
(3) Remove the nut that secures the choke
d. Adjustment. Since the speed of the en-
gine is regulated by the governor controls, a
the instrument panel (10) and remove
the choke control from the front of
engine speed while the governor controls are
the instrument panel.