(2) Install the air shroud cover (para 3-
f . Model OEG-458-ENG-3 Refer to TM
(6) Remove the nut (40), two lockwash-
5-2805-203-14 for spark plug data applicable
ers (23), and bolt (28) that secure
the upper side of the magneto
to model OEG-458-ENG-3.
mounting flange to the cylinder and
3-45. Ignition Cable Assembly
(7) Remove the magneto (25) and mount-
ing gasket (24) from the cylinder and
(1) Disconnect the ignition cable terminal
(8) R e m o v e the four screws (12) and
spark plug (5).
(2) Disconnect the terminal sleeve nut
neto ignition shield (13) to the mag-
(4) from the magneto ignition shield
neto. Remove the ignition shield and
metal gasket (39) from the magneto.
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(9) Remove the screw (37) and lockwash-
(1) Clean the ignition cable with a clean
er that secure the vent cover (38) and
c l o t h dampened with an approved
screw on the side of the magneto. Re-
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
move the cover and screen from the
(2) Inspect the ignition cable insulation
magneto. Remove the vent cover and
and shielding for cracks, breaks, and
screen m o u n t e d on the opposite
side in a similar manner.
(3) Inspect the teminals for corrosion and
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
(1) Clean the exterior surface of the mag-
(4) Replace all defective parts.
neto with a cloth dampened with an
approved cleaning solvent and dry
(1) Connect the terminal sleeve nut (4)
t h o r o u g h l y . Do not submerge the
to the magneto shield (13).
(2) Connect the terminal sleeve nut to
(2) Clean the vent covers and screens in
the spark plug (5).
an approved cleaning solvent and dry
d. Model OEG-458-ENG-3. Refer to TM
thoroughly. Inspect the screens for
5-2805-203-14 for ignition cable data appli-
clogging and damage.
cable to model OEG-458-ENG-3.
(3) Inspect t h e magneto housing and
ignition shield for cracks, breaks, and
(4) I n s p e c t the contact set for dirt,
(1) Disconnect the ignition cable from the
grease, and oil. Remove any dirt or
grease from the contact set with a
(2) Remove the high-tension cable outlet
clean, dry, lint-free cloth.
from the ignition shield (13, fig. 3-
(5) Examine the contact set for pitting or
a burned condition. Inspect for exces-
(3) Remove the magneto drive gear in-
sive wear on the breaker arm cam.
spection plug (14) from the cylinder
Measure the contact set for a correct
gap setting of 0.015 inch at full sepa-
(4) T u r n the engine slowly until the
ration. Use a contact file or stone to
dress the contact points. Adjust the
located on the magneto drive gear
gap as necessary (see d below).
(27), centers in the inspection hole.
(6) Inspect the wick assembly for a dry
(5) Remove the capscrew (22) and lock-
condition. Place a few drops of light
washer (23) that secure the magneto.
oil on the wick if necessary.
mounting flange to the bottom side