(7) Replace a defective mounting gasket
c. Installation and Timing.
(1) Secure the vent screen and vent cover
(38) to the side of the magneto (25)
with the lockwasher and screw (37).
Install the vent screen and vent cov-
er on the opposite side of the magneto
in a similar manner.
(2) Secure the ignition shield (13) and
m e t a l gasket (39) to the magneto
If the crankshaft was rotated
after remova of the magneto, it will be
necessary to rest the engine timing gears
to properly engage the magneto drive
gear. If the crankshaft has not been dis-
turbed, the magneto may be installed as
described in (6) through (10) below.
1 Air shroud
(3) Reset the timing by first removing the
Screw, machine, 1/4-20 X 1/2 in. (4 rqr)
20 timing hole
Top center inspection hole
(4) Place a thumb over the spark plug
hole and slowly rotate the engine un-
til the piston is on the compression
Starting pulley assembly
stroke and pressure begins to build
up under the thumb.
(5) Look through the air shroud screen
at the top. The flywheel air vane tim-
ing mark X (2) should then appear
centered in the top center inspection
Note. The flywheel timing mark D-C
indicates when the piston is sit top dead
center of the compression stroke. The air
vane timing mark may be in the form of
white paint, or a stamped X, or both.
(6) Position the magneto drive gear (27,
the timing mark (X) (26) will appear
in the gear housing inspection hole.
P o s i t i o n the magneto (25) on the
with the timing mark centered in the
Nut, sheet, spring, No. 14A (4 rqr) 4 Air shroud
Flywheel air vane timing mark (X) 5 Crankshaft
Flywheel timing mark (D-C)
(7) Secure the magneto (25) to the top