(4) Adjust the contact set (see d above).
damage, Inspect the belt for cracks,
fraying, and excessive wear.
f. Capacitor Replacement (Models BMW-
(3) Replace any defective parts.
452-ENG and BMW-452-ENG-1).
(1) Remove the magneto ignition shield
a n d BMW-452-ENG-1).
(see a above).
on the starting pulley (14) and the
generator pulley (16). Move the gen-
and lockwasher (10) and remove the
erator (22) away from the engine (3)
capacitor lead (9).
until the proper tension is reached.
(3) Remove the screw (5) and lockwash-
When the belt is properly adjusted,
er that secures the capacitor (4) to
a deflection of three-quarters inch will
the bearing support plate (1) and re-
result from pressing down at a point
move the capacitor.
t h e proper adjustment is reached,
(4) Position the capacitor (4) on the bear-
tighten the screw (17).
ing support plate (1) and secure with
(2) Secure the brackets (10) to the air
the screw (5) and lockwasher.
s h r o u d (12 ) with the screws (9)
(5) Position the capacitor lead (9) on the
( m o d e l BMW-452-ENG-1 only).
coil lead and the breaker arm and
(3) Secure the generator drive belt guard
spring (15 ) and secure with the screw
(15) to the brackets (10) with the
(11) and lockwasher (10).
3-47. Generator Drive Belt and Guard
a. On-Equipment Testing (Models BMW
that secure the generator drive belt
452-ENG and BMW-452-ENG-1).
guard (15) to the brackets (10) and
(1) Defects in the generator or the regu-
r e m o v e the guard (model BMW-
lator as indicated on the ammeter by
a continuous high-charging rate when
the battery is fully charged, or by a
(2) Remove the screws (9) that secure the
low- or no-charging rate when the
brackets (10) to the air shroud (12)
a n d remove the brackets (model
battery is low.
(2) When a high-charging rate is indicat-
ed, run the engine at operating speed
(3) Loosen the screw (17) and move the
a n d disconnect the lead from the
g e n e r a t o r (22) toward the engine
terminal marked "F". If the output
( 3 ) . Remove the generator drive
remains high, the trouble is in the
generator. Replace a defective gene-
(16) and the starting pulley (14).
I f the output
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
drops off, the trouble is in the regu-
(1) C l e a n all metal parts in approved
lator. Replace a defective regulator
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
(b through f below).
Clean the drive belt with a clean, dry
(3) When a low- or no-charging rate is in-
cloth. Use no solvent to clean dirt or
dicated, inspect for loose connections,
grease from the bent. If necessary,
frayed or damaged wires, or a defec-
scrub the belt with soap and water
tive battery. If none of these condi-
and allow it to dry thoroughly.
tions exists, operate the engine at me-
dium speed and momentarily ground
(2) Inspect all metal parts for cracks,
the terminal marked "F". No increase
b e n d s , damaged threads, or other