Be sure to note the different
lengths of the cylinder head cap screws, as
they are removed, to facilitate correct in-
(5) Remove the cylinder head and gasket
crankcase assembly (17).
(6) Remove the cylinder head stud (5)
sembly, only if necessary.
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean all metal parts in an approved
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
Use a wire brush and remove all car-
bon deposits from the cylinder head.
(2) R o t a t e the engine until the piston
reaches its highest point of travel.
Brush the carbon deposits from the
top of the piston.
Valve rotator (2 rqr)
Avoid spilling dirt around the
Valve lifter adjustment screw (2 rqr)
valves and valve seats.
Valve lifter (2 rqr)
(3) Inspect the cylinder head for cracks,
valve (2 rqr)
breaks, and warped condition. Inspect
the spark plug hole and cylinder head
capscrews for damaged threads. Re-
d. Valve Chamber Cover Installation.
place a defective part.
(1) Secure the valve chamber access cover
(17) with the flat washer (16) and
(2) Install the air cleaner, bracket, car-
buretor, and intake manifold as an as-
(3) Install the fuel strainer - to - carbure-
tor tube (pare 3-34).
3-70. Engine Cylinder Head
air shroud (22) to the cylinder head
washers (5) that secure the cylinder
head (32) to the cylinder and crank
case assembly (19).