34 Coupling hub assembly
35 Coupling shell
36 Drive spring
Screw, end cap
37 Hub assembly
Ground switch retaining ring
38 Torsion spring
39 Washer, flat, outer end, 5/8 inch id, 1 3/8
inch od, 1/32 inch thk
40 Plain seal
41 Washer, flat, inner end, 23/32 inch id, 1 17/64
Ground switch button
inch od, 0.015 in. thk
Screw, mach. No. 8-32 X 3/8 inch
42 Retaining ring
Bearing support plate assembly
43 Pawl stop pin
44 Magneto frame
Key, woodruff, No. 3
45 Setscrew, headless, 1/4-20 X 7/8 inch (2 rqr)
Shim (2 rqr)
46 Name plate
47 Screw, vent cover
Annular ball bearing
48 Cover, vent
49 Screen, vent
Callouts for Figure 4-1-Continued.
(2) Inspect the coil for cracked or broken
face toward the drive gear end, and
insulation. Use a coil tester and test
install the retaining ring (30).
for shorts and leaks.
Install the magnetic rotor (27) in the
(3) Inspect the annualar ball bearing for
frame and on the ball bearing.
w e a r and roughness when rotated.
Install the retaining ring (42) on the
Noisy operation and metal chips in
the races are indications of damage.
Install the inner end flat washer (41),
(4) Inspect the magneto frame and bear-
plain seal (40), and outer end flat
i n g support plate for breaks and
washer (39) on the rotor.
Position the woodruff key (28) in the
(5) Inspect the rotor sleeve bearings for
rotor shaft keyway.
wear, pitting, burning and scoring.
Install the torsion spring (38) on the
(6) Inspect the rotor for wear, pitting,
coupling hub assembly (37) and press
cracks, and breaks.
the coupling hub on the rotor. En-
(7) Inspect all springs for corrosion, dis-
gage the outer end of the drive spring
tortion, and wear.
(36) with the slot in the coupling
(8) Inspect the coupling hub and shell for
shell (35) and wind the drive spring
cracks, breaks, and wear.
until it is compressed sufficiently to
(9) Inspect the drive gear for broken,
fit inside the coupling shell.
cracked, or shipped teeth.
Aline the coupling shell and drive
(10) Inspect the fit of the seal on the rotor
spring with the hub assembly (37) on
shaft. The seal must fit snugly.
the rotor. Lift the inner torque of the
(11) Inspect all threaded parts for signs of
drive spring just enough to engage it
with the anchoring slot in the coup-
(12) Repair or replace damaged and de-
ling hub and secure the spring in the
fective parts as necessary.
c. Reassemable and Installation.
Hold the coupling shell firmly; turn
(1) Install the two vent assemblies (para
the rotor- to wind up the drive spring
(36) until the impulse coupling hub
(2) Install the pawl stop pin (43) in the
and shell can be pressed together. In-
stall the sleeve bearing (33) on the
(3) Position the annular ball bearing (31)
shaft of the rotor (27).
inside the frame with the unsealed