(11) Test for crankshaft end play with a
(9) Disengage the governor yoke (8, fig.
dial indicator as follows:
(a) P u s h the installed crankshaft to
remove t h e s u p p o r t b r a c k e t a n d
the rear of the engine as far as pos-
the mounting recess in the cylinder
(b) Position a dial indicator at the fly
and crankcase assembly (4). Then re-
wheel end of the engine with the
move the gasket (7) from the cylin-
indicator plunger centered on the
der and crankcase assembly.
end of the crankshaft.
(10) Separate the governor yoke from the
(c) P u s h or pull the crankshaft to-
ward the dial indicator as far as it
(11) Using a sharp, pointed punch and a
will move, then check the reading
hammer, carefully remove the expan-
on the dial indicator. The reading
sion plug (2, fig. 4-12) from the cam-
should be 0,001 to 0.003 inch. Re-
shaft support pin bore in the flywheel
peat this operation several times.
(d) If the end play is not within the
specified measurement, remove the
(12) Using a blunt drift punch and ham-
d r i v e pulley end plate (19) and
m e r , carefully drive the camshaft
increase or decrease, as necessary,
fig, 4-6) out
the number of end plate gaskets
through the opposite or drive pulley
(22 and 23).
(e) Install the drive pulley end plate
sembly (4). The expansion plug (14)
assembly and repeat the operation
in the rear pin bore will be forced out
described in a through d above un-
ahead of the camshaft support pin
t i l the specified end play meas-
as the pin is driven out.
urement is obtained.
Be extremely careful
when driving the camshaft support
pin out of the pin bores so as not to
(14) Install the piston and connecting rod
damage the support pin or bores.
(13) When the camshaft support pin is
4-34. Camshaft, Governor, and Valve
drift punch and lift out the camshaft
(12) with the camshaft gear (16), and
a. Removal and Disassembly.
governor assembly as a unit. Then re-
move the two valve lifters (18) from
the guide holes inside the cylinder
and crankcase assembly (4).
(14) Disassemble the governor assembly
(4) Remove the fuel strainer-to-carbure-
from the camshaft as follows:
(a) Remove the sleeve bearing (13) and
(5) Remove the governor control lever
the governor spacer (17) from the
c e n t e r of the two governor fly-
(6) R e m o v e the crankshaft assembly
(b) Use a small drift punch and ham-
mer to remove the spring pin (9)
(7) Remove the oil pump and the plunger
that secures the governor flyweight
(10) to the camshaft (12) and re-
move the governor flyweight. Re-
move the other govenor flyweight
(23) to the cylinder and crankcase
in a similar manner.