(4) Adjust the valve clearance; refer to paragraph
(13) Remove nuts (20, 22), washers (21, 23), lifting
eyes, and spacers from cylinder head studs.
(5) Start the engine and warm up to operating
(14) Remove the cylinder head (24) and gasket (25)
temperatures. With the engine idling slowly,
from the engine and disassemble in numerical
readjust the valve clearance; refer to para
through 51, and the following:
and new gasket (5) and secure to cylinder head
with nuts (1) and washers (2, 3).
It may be necessary to tap the head
with a soft hammer to loosen from
(7) Install breather cap (6) on the cylinder head
cylinder block. Do not pry on the
cover (4) if removed.
(a) Disassemble cap screws (26), lock
7-13. Cylinder Head Assembly and Valves.
washers (27), water outlet cover (28), and
a. Removal and Disassembly.
(b) Disassemble cap screws (30, 31), lock
washers (32), thermostat housing (33),
gasket (34), and thermostat (35). Do not
remove plug (36) unless replacement is
compress valve springs (39). Remove
valve seat locks (37), valve spring seats
(38), valve springs (39), intake valves
(6) Drain the radiator and remove the upper radiator
(40), and exhaust valves (41).
(7) Remove engine water temperature shutdown
Place intake valves (40) and exhaust
valves (41) in a rack with holes
(8) Remove engine water temperature sensing bulb
numbered so that valves can be
identified and reassembled in their
(9) Disconnect and remove bypass tube and nipple
connecting water pump to cylinder head (figure
(d) Remove intake valve stem seals (42).
Press valve guides (43) out of cylinder
head (24) only when necessary.
(10) Remove enclosure components to the extent
necessary to remove the cylinder head (figure
(e) The fuel injection nozzle sleeves (46) and
washers (45) should not be removed
(11) Disconnect instrument panel brace from cylinder
Remove intake manifold studs (47),
exhaust manifold studs (48) and pipe
plugs (49, 50, 51) only when necessary to
(12) Remove cylinder head cover and the rocker arm