pulley (3) to crankshaft. Use a puller to remove
the pulley assembly (3). Remove pulley key (4).
in accordance with para 5-7. f. Wipe the bearing
(28) clean with a clean, lint-free cloth.
(5) Remove cap screws (5, 6, 7), lock washers (8,
9), nut (10) and lock washers (11). Separate
(3) Inspect the gear cover (12) and gear housing
gear housing cover (12) from gear housing (34)
(34) for cracks, distortion, and other damage.
and remove gasket (13). Remove cap screws
Replace either if damaged.
(14), lock washers (15), thrust plate (16), and
gasket (17). Press oil seal (18) out of cover
(4) Check that gear housing dowel pins and studs in
the cylinder block are tight and that the stud
threads are in good condition. Replace any
removing the injection pump gear nut (22), figure
7-49), washer (23), and gear (24).
(5) Inspect the fuel pump drive gear (24), camshaft
gear (20), and idler gear (27) for chipped,
(7) Remove cap screw (25), washer (26), and idler
cracked, or broken teeth. Replace damaged
gear (27) from idler shaft (29). As necessary,
remove bearing (28) from idler gear (27).
Remove idler shaft (29) only when necessary.
(6) Check the idler gear bearing (28) for wear or
There should be just
(8) Insert a brass bar between crankshaft gear and
perceptible play in the bearing. Replace a worn
camshaft gear (20) to keep camshaft from
turning. Remove the camshaft nut (19). Use a
foot-type gear puller inserted through holes in
(7) Check that the idler gear shaft (29) is tightly
camshaft gear (20) and pull gear (20) from
fitted in the gear housing (34). It must withstand
camshaft. Remove camshaft gear key (21).
a direct pull of 32 pounds (14.515 kg). Replace
a loose-fitting idler gear shaft. (Use Loctite, or
reassemble and install the gear housing, cover and
When removing front oil pan adapter
(1) Cement a new gasket (35) to the gear housing
(11) and lock washers (12) first; then,
(34), allowing the cement to dry sufficiently to
remove cap screws (13) and lock
prevent the gasket from slipping at installation.
washers (14) that attach adapter (15)
to gear housing.
(2) Place the gear housing (34) on the cylinder
block; install the attaching cap screws (32, 30)
lock washers (31, 33) that attach gear housing
and lock washers (33, 31) but do not tighten
(34) to cylinder block. Tap the gear housing with
a soft hammer to loosen from cylinder block and
dowels. Remove the housing and gasket (35).
Discard the gasket.
securing adapter to the cylinder block first with
two stud nuts (11) and lock washers (12).
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
Secure the adapter (15) to the gear housing with
four cap screws (13) and lock washers (14).
(1) Discard and replace all gaskets and seals.
Tighten the gear housing cap screws (13) and
Make certain that all old gasket material is
nuts (11) evenly and securely; then, tighten cap
removed from sealing surfaces.