cracks, or other damage.
(e) Install main bearing caps (12, 10, 9,
8) in their original positions to
maintain bearing alignment.
(15) Check all the threaded holes in the
caps are marked with the number of
cylinder block. Make sure they are clean
the cylinder in which they are used.
and the threads are in good condition.
Attach the caps to cylinder block
Clean up damaged threads in the tapped
with cap bolts (7, 11).
holes with a same-size tap or retap larger
and install helical thread inserts, if
(f) Install two gaskets (6) and side
covers (5). Attach to cylinder block
(28) with lock washers (4) and cap
bayonet gauge tube for cracks, dents,
distortion, and other damage. Replace
(g) If removed, press oil filler tube (2)
any damaged parts.
into cylinder block (28) and install
the oil level gauge (1).
c. Reassembly and Installation.
(2) Install the crankshaft and main bearings
(1) Reassemble the cylinder block in reverse
(4) Install the camshaft
Make certain that all open oil passage
pipe plugs are installed. Be sure the
(5) Install gear housing, timing gears, and
mounting hole is plugged with
setscrew (20). This is the rear end
(6) Install the bellhousing and flywheel (para
opening of the oil passage for the
rocker arms and must be plugged to
prevent oil leakage.
(a) Install a new identification plate (27)
onto cylinder block (28) using new
(8) Install the cylinder head assembly and
(b) Install cylinder head studs (25 thru
21) on cylinder block (28) as shown
(9) Install the water pump and fan assembly
(c) Make certain that setscrew (20,
pipe plugs (18, 17), and dowel pins
(16) are installed in cylinder block
(12) Install the starting motor assembly (para
(d) Install oil pan adapter studs (15),
gear housing stud (14), and
bellhousing studs (13) into cylinder