(5) Install v-belt drive guard and attaching
hardware and tighten securely.
(1) Make a visual inspection of the belts to
(1) If necessary, adjust the tension as follows:
determine their condition.
(a) Loosen motor mounting screws (fig.
(2) If the belts are worn, frayed or bad,
It is not necessary
to remove the mounting screws.
replace with a new set.
(b) Move the motor away from
compressor until proper tension is obtained on the v-
belts, para d.(3).
(c) Tighten motor mounting bolts to
Dry cleaning solvent, P-D-680, used
property. Use in a well ventilated
area as the fumes are dangerous if
Do not adjust the v-belts too tightly
Avoid repeated and
as this will overload motor and
prolonged skin contact. Do not use
near open flame or excessive heat.
be sure motor pulley is square in
relationship to the mounting base
Flash point of solvent is 100 F. 138
and flywheel to avoid binding and
F. (38 C. 59 C.).
excessive wear of the v-belts.
(1) Use a cloth dampened in cleaning solvent,
(2) Install v-belt guard.
P-D-680, to remove oil and dust from the belts.
(2) If the belts have become saturated with oil
4-16. Release Valve Assembly Replacement.
and dirt, replace with a new set.
belts as follows:
and remove and disassemble release valve assembly as
(1) Remove attaching hardware and remove
v-belt drive guard.
(2) Loosen motor mounting bolts and move
(2), ball (3), and plunger (4).
motor towards compressor to loosen v-belt tension.
b. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.
(3) Remove v-belts.
(1) Clean all parts and wipe dry with a lint free
d. Installation. Refer
to figure 4-5 and install
belts as follows:
(2) Check the spring (2) for disfiguration, or
(1) Install v-belts on compressor and motor
loss of tension. Replace a defective spring.
(3) Check ball (3), body (1), and plunger (4)
for excessive wear, burred threads and general
increasing v-belt tension. Make sure pulleys are in
Replace damaged or defective parts as
correct alignment. Tighten motor mounting bolts slightly.
(3) Press on the v-belts with your fingers
(4) Replace deteriorated gaskets.
midway between the motor drive pulley and the
c. Reassembly and Installation.
compressor flywheel. Proper v-belt tension is when the
belt deflection is no more than one-half inch.
and removal procedures.
(4) When proper belt tension is obtained
tighten motor mounting bolts securely.