(10) Install tubes a d fittings using any logical
(2) Inspect the crankcase for cracks, scores,
sequence, refer to fig. 5-7 for guidance. Be sure to
and distortion. Measure the crankcase journals for wear.
observe pre-cautions in handing inter-cooler tube (7) so
If the connecting rod journals measure 0.005 inch
as not to damage cooling fins.
(0.0127 cm) out-of-round, refer to Table 5-2, replace the
(11) After all tubes and fittings are installed,
assemble flywheel (8, fig. 5-9) to end of crankshaft with
(3) Inspect the crankshaft bearings for rough,
key (9) in place and secured by bolt (7) and nut (6).
pitted, or scored rollers. Replace a defective bearing.
(4) Inspect the crankcase for cracks, breaks
or other defects. Replace the crankcase if defective.
5-5. Crankshaft and Crankcase
c. Reassembly and Installation.
a. Removal and Disassembly.
(1) Remove cylinder, piston and connecting
flywheel side of crankcase. Be sure seal is seated
rod assemblies and flywheel as described in paragraph
(2) Fit main bearing assembly (43 and 44) to
flywheel end of crankshaft (42) and to governor end of
cap valve body (23), lifting cap slowly away from
crankshaft. Be sure both bearings are seated against
governor housing cover to contain spring (6). Remove
stop on shaft. Insert flywheel end of crankshaft through
spring (6) and ball (25) and plunger (28). Remove
the opening on the governor side of crankcase, through
governor housing cover (27) slowly from housing (40) to
oil seal (45). Crankshaft must be inserted far enough for
contain spring sleeve (29), main spring (30) and flat
main bearing assembly to seat properly into crankcase
washer (31). Remove and discard gasket (37).
(3) Remove baffle plate (38). The governor
(3) At this point assemble governor ho using
weights (33) do not necessarily have to be removed from
(40), to crankcase (46) leaving out the housing gaskets
the spindle (36) unless damaged. Remove spindle (36)
(41) at this time. Attach the housing to the crankcase
and housing (40).
Housing (40) also houses the
with one capscrew at the top and one at the bottom. Be
crankshaft main bearing assembly (43 and 44) and
sure the main bearing (43 and 44) on the end of the
should be removed carefully to avoid damage to the
crankshaft fits properly in housing. Set the two attaching
bearing. Remove and discard gasket (41).
screws finger tight. Using a feeler gauge measure the
gap between housing and crankcase at top and bottom
of the housing. Average the two dimensions and add
0.005-inch (0.0127 cm).
This will determine the
Before driving the crankshaft from
selection of gaskets (41) to use. A combination of
gaskets should equal the total dimension above. Proper
connecting rod journals are in an
adherence to this procedure will minimize crankshaft end
(4) Using a suitable puller remove bearing
(4) Remove housing from crankcase and
(43) from crankshaft (42). Remove oil seal (45) from
install housing gaskets as determined above. Install
crankcase (46) by pressing in from outside the
housing and secure with attaching hardware to torque of
crankcase on the flywheel side of the case.
(5) Do not remove the oil level gage (5) from
(5) Reassemble governor weights (33) to
the crankcase unless the gage is leaking or defective.
spindle (36) with weight pins (32) if they were removed.
Install spindle in the housing (40) with capscrew (34) and
b. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.
lock washer (35).
(6) Insert flat washer (31) into spindle to cover
(1) Clean all parts in an approved cleaning
capscrew head. Insert main spring (30) and spring
solvent and dry thoroughly.
sleeve (29). Assemble baffle (38) inside and at the top
of the housing (40), then attach cover gasket (37) and
cover (27) with capscrews (26). Be sure