3-26. IGNITION SYSTEM - Continued.
b. Cleaning - Continued.
(3) Allow to dry.
(1) Examine wires from armature for cuts or abrasion.
Inspect armature coil for burned insulation or cuts.
Replace armature if damaged in any way.
(2) Inspect plug for carbon build up, cracked insulator, and cracked or corroded electrodes. Replace plug if
damaged in any way.
(3) Check flywheel for cracked surfaces and broken or missing fins. Replace flywheel if damaged in any way.
(4) Check flywheel keyway and key for any cracks or bending. Replace flywheel if keyway is damaged. Replace
key if it is damaged in any way.
(1) Slide flywheel (10) onto engine shaft (9) and align keyway in flywheel with keyway in engine shaft (9).
(2) Install key (11) into keyway of flywheel (10).
When placing armature onto engine, be sure spark plug wire is on side of armature
away from engine.
(3) Place armature (5) into position on engine (8) and install, but do not tighten, two screws (3).
(4) Rotate flywheel (10) until magnetic inserts on flywheel are in line with armature (5).
(5) Using shim stock, place armature (5) into position 0.010 to 0.014 in. (0.25 to 0.36 mm) away from flywheel
(10) and tighten two screws (3). Remove shim stock.
(6) Install wire (12) onto armature (5).
(7) Place wire (12) next to breather on side of engine (8) and bend tab down to hold wire.
(8) Using a spark plug gap gage, check gap on spark plug electrodes. Adjust electrode as required to achieve a
gap of 0.030 in (0.75 mm).
(9) Install spark plug (7) and elbow (6) into engine (8).