(15) To remove the camshaft gear (16) po-
installed, should read 0.001 to 0.0025
inch. Inspect the flat area of the valve
sition the camshaft (12) in an arbor-
lifters which comes in contact with the
press, with the camshaft gear in the
camshaft lobes for excessive wear or
top position, supported evenly on all
scoring. Inspect the adjusting screws
(19) for fit in the valve lifters. Re-
(16) Press the camshaft out of the cam-
p l a c e loose liftig or worn valve
shaft gear; then remove the woodruf
lifters and adjusting screws.
k e y (11) from the keyway in the
(9) Replace all defective or worn compo-
nents applicable to the camshaft, gov-
Caution: The camshaft gear must
ernor, and valve lifters.
be supported evenly on all sides to
avoid damage during removal of the
c. Reassembly and Installation.
(1) Install the woodruff key (11) in the
keyway in the camshaft (12).
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
(2) Use an arbor press to press the cam-
(1) Clean all parts with an approved
shaft gear (16) on the camshaft. Have
cleaning solvent and dry thoroughly.
the marked side of the camshaft gear
(2) Inspect all camshaft, governor, and
facing the camshaft lobes.
valve lifter components for excessive
(3) Assemble the governor components to
wear, cracks, and breaks.
the camshaft as follows:
(3) Inspect the sleeve bearing and gov-
(a) Aline the holes in one governor
e r n o r spacer for a loose fit when
flyweight (10) with an applicable
assembled together. The sleeve bear-
ing and governor spacer should also
hole in the camshaft (12) and se-
move freely on the camshaft support
cure with a spring pin (9). In a
pin, but should not be excessively
similar manner, assemble the gov-
loose. Also inspect for excessive play
ernor flyweight (10) to the cam-
between tie governor yoke and the
(b) Separate the two governor fly-
(4) Inspect the fit of the camshaft on the
weights (10). Insert the governor
camshaft support pin. There should
s p a c e r (17) into the end of the
be no free play between the camshaft
camshaf t (12) and slide the sleeve
support pin and the camshaft.
b e a r i n g (13) over the governor
(5) Inspect the camshaft gear for broker,
spacer and down against the pins
burred, or excessively worn teeth.
on the governor flyweights.
(6) Measure the outside diameter of the
(c) Close the governor flyweights be-
camshaft support pin and the inside
tween the two flanges on the sleeve
diameter of the camshaft and cam-
shaft gear bores. Replace a camshaft
(4) Slide the two valve lifters (18) into
s u p p o r t having a diameter of less
the holes in the crankcase.
than 0.4900 inch. Replace a camshaft
(5) Position the camshaft, with camshaft
and gear having an inside diameter in
gear and governor assembly, in the
excess of 0.4930 inch.
(7) Inspect the camshaft lobes for scor-
the camshaft support pin bores.
ing and signs of wear.
(6) Install the camshaft support pin (15),
(8) Measure the valve lifters (18) for
from the drive pulley end of the cyl-
wear and clearance in the lifter guide
holes. Replace a valve lifter having a
through the rear camshaft pin bore
diameter of less than 0.6230 inch.
and into the camshaft pin bore in the
Clearance between the valve lifter and
f l y w h e e l side of the cylinder and
the guide hole, when the lifters are