air valves (61). Lift valve bar assembly off piston (87).
(3) Unscrew and remove outlet assembly (16
through 20), and disassemble on bench. Unscrew
(18) Disassemble the valve bar assembly by
adapter (16) from outlet body (20) and remove spring
removing nuts (62 and 66), washers (63), intake valve
(17), ball stops (18), and ball (19).
stem (64), exhaust valve stem (67), air valve (68), and
washers (65 and 69) from valve bar (75). Remove
(4) Remove drain tube (21). Unscrew and remove
spring stop (70), spring (71), shifter rod (72), shifter
drain valve assembly (22 through 27). Disassemble on
bench by removing screw (22), stem (24), packing (25),
(73), and shifter sleeve (74) from valve bar.
and ball (26) from valve body (27). Do not remove roll
(19) Remove intake valve seat (76) and exhaust
valve seat (77) from air piston (87).
pin (23) from stem (24).
(20) Remove assembled valve trip (81) and
(5) Loosen setscrew (28) and remove baffle (29).
(6) Place a holding rod or pin through slots in
fulcrum (82) from air piston by removing nuts (78)
primer cylinder (32) and hole in primer rod (39) to
and packing (79). Disassemble the valve trip and
keep rod from turning. Remove nut (30), primer
fulcrum by removing pin (80).
piston (31), and primer cylinder (32).
(21) Disassemble the air piston (87) by removing
the clamp nut (83), muffler plate (84), nut (85), and
It may be necessary to unscrew primer cylinder (32) and
disengage from pump cylinder (38). Pull down on
(22) When cap screws (88) and mounting plate
primer cylinder and rod to expose hole in primer rod.
(89) are removed, the high pressure cylinder support
(7) Unscrew and remove high pressure cylinder
assembly (90 through 97) will come out of the cylin-
assembly (33 through 38) from pump tube (47). After
der. Disassemble the support assembly by removing
high pressure cylinder is separated from pump tube,
the packing nut (90), packings (91 through 94), clamp
disassemble the primer valve assembly by removing
nut (95), and cylinder support (96) from pump adap-
retainer ring (33), washer (34), packing (35), and
backup washer (36) from primer valve (37).
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Discard and replace all packings.
To prevent marring surface finishes, use a suitable
(2) Clean all parts with dry cleaning solvent (fed.
strap wrench to hold parts without wrenching flats or
parts that have polished surfaces. Use a soft-jawed vise
(3) Inspect and replace any worn or damaged
when clamping parts to disassemble.
(8) Unscrew and remove primer rod (39) from
(4) Inspect threaded surfaces for damage.
piston (40) by inserting a holding rod in piston hole.
(5) Inspect pump rods and tubes for cracks,
(9) Unscrew and remove piston (40), packings (41
and 43), and backup washer (42) from piston nut (44).
breaks, or other defects which would prevent proper
(10) Pull down lower pump rod (48) to expose
wrench flats. Unscrew piston nut (44) and remove
ball (45) and spring (46).
(1) Repairs consist mainly of replacing all
packings and parts which fail to pass inspection.
(11) Unscrew and remove pump tube (47) from
cylinder support (96).
(2) You can remove minor nicks or scratches
(12) Unscrew and remove lower pump rod (48)
using a fine stone and polishing with fine emery
from upper pump rod (54).
cloth or crocus cloth. Reclean parts after polishing.
(13) Unscrew cylinder cap (52) from air cylinder
(3) Clean up any damaged threads using a fine
housing (W). Pull out to expose valve spring (49) and
file or taps and dies of the correct size.
spring stop (50). Place large screwdriver in coils of
spring (49) and pry downward so spring snaps off
(1) Reassembly is essentially the reverse of
spring stop. Valve shifter rod (72) will then slide out
disassembly. Note the following:
of keyhole slot in spring stop. Remove spring (49) and
(a) You should apply a light coating of engine
gasket (53). Disassemble cylinder cap by removing
oil on all packings, and on rods and tubes with in-
eye bolt (51) and spring stop (50).
terior or exterior sliding surfaces.
(14) Pushing against upper pump rod (54), push
(b) When installing high pressure cylinder
complete air piston assembly (56 through 87) out of
support assembly (90 through 97) in cylinder (99), you
air cylinder housing.
must make certain support is positioned so that drain
valve assembly and outlet assembly can be installed
(15) Unscrew and remove upper pump rod (54).
Remove packings (55 and 98).
in their respective tapped holes.
(16) Remove cap screws (56), trip spring bearings
(c) Assemble valve bar assembly (64 through
(57), and trip springs (58).
75) and install on air piston (87) before installing
items 56 through 61. When installed, check action of
(17) To remove valve bar assembly (items 62
through 75), first remove nuts (59), washers (60), and
valve bar. Bar should move up and down freely with