4. Explanation of Columns (Section IV).
a. NATIONAL STOCK NUMBER (NSN) INDEX.
(1) STOCK NUMBER column. This column lists the NSN by National item identification number (NIIN)
sequence. The (NIIN) consists of the last nine
digits of the NSN (i.e., 5305-01-74-1467 . When using this column to locate an item,
ignore the first 4 digits of the NSN. However, the complete NSN should be used when ordering items by stock
(2) FIG. column. This column lists the number of the figure where the item is identified/located. The
figures are in numerical order in Section II and Section III.
(3) ITEM column. The item number identifies the item associated with the figure listed in the adjacent
FIG. column. This item is also identified by the NSN listed on the same line.
b. PART NUMBER INDEX. Part numbers in this index are listed by part number in ascending alphanumeric
sequence (i.e., vertical arrangement of letter and number combination which places the first letter or digit of
each group in order A through Z, followed by the numbers 0 through 9 and each following letter or digit in like
(1) FSCM column. The Federal Supply Code for Manufacturer (FSCM) is a 5-digit numeric code used to
identify the manufacturer, distributor, or Government agency, etc., that supplies the item.
(2) PART NUMBER column. Indicates the primary number used by the manufacturer (individual, firm,
corporation, or Government activity), which controls the design and characteristics of the item by means of its
engineering drawings, specifications standards, and inspection requirements to identify an item or range of
(3) STOCK NUMBER column. This column lists the NSN for the associated part number and
manufacturer identified in the PART NUMBER and FSCM columns to the left.
(4) FIG. column. This column lists the number of the figure where the item is identified/located in
Sections II and III.
(5) ITEM column. The item number is that number assigned to the item as it appears in the figure
referenced in adjacent figure number column.