Removal. Remove the water separator from the
spiral baffle assembly located within the water separator.
The outlet port is so oriented so as to minimize moisture
frame assembly (par. 12a).
carryover from the inlet port to the outlet port. The shell
incorporates a drain port, at the lowest point, for drainage
(1) Unscrew the relief valve (2, fig. 3) from cap (6)
of any moisture collected in the shell. The water
of the water separator. Remove the preformed
separator is designed for an operating pressure of 2,000
packing (3) from the relief valve.
psi at a temperature range of + 32 F. to +160 F. The
(2) Disassemble the water separator relief valve as
minimum accumulated water capacity of the water
separator is 9.5 cu. in. The unit is mounted vertically to
(3) Remove the seal (9, fig. 7), tag (16), lockwire
prevent carryover of moisture and to permit drainage.
(10 and 17) and nameplate (15) from the relief
The water separator relief valve consists of a valve body
enclosing a spring-loaded piston and ball. The valve
(4) Loosen the lock nut (7) and unscrew the cap (1)
body incorporates a threaded inlet for attachment to the
from the body (8).
water separator cap. The relief valve cap is used to
Warning: Be extremely careful when removing
adjust the relieving pressure and incorporates a port for
the cap from the body to prevent injury to
venting the air to atmosphere.
The relief valve
personnel since the cap is compressing a
maintains the upper limit of the operating air pressure, by
venting excess air to atmosphere.
(5) Remove the spring (2), retainer (3), ,ball (4), and
piston (5) from the body (8).
The compressed air going into the water separator
(6) Remove the preformed packing (6) from the
contains water vapor. During the compression phase,
most of the water vapor is removed as water because, at
(7) Unscrew the lock nut (7) from the body (8).
high pressure, the air can no longer retain the same
(8) Unscrew the fitting (14) from the body (8).
amount of water vapor. Before compressed air is made
(9) Remove the preformed packing (13) from the
available for use, the water in liquid droplet form, in the
compressed air, must be separated. The water separator
(10)Remove the spring (12) and seat (11) from the
performs this function by directing the incoming air-water
mixture toward the water separator's internal baffle. The
Cleaning and Inspection.
water droplets collect on the baffle and are directed to
(1) Clean metallic parts in ultrasonic cleaner.
the lowest portion of the shell. In order to protect the air
(2) Inspect components for scratches, nicks, wear
compressor during operation a relief valve is mounted on
or other damage.
the water separator to provide a means of venting
(3) Replace all parts supplied with the repair kit.
excess air. Venting occurs when the air pressure in the
water separator -unseats the spring loaded piston in the
(1) Apply oil (OE-30) to preformed packings.
(2) Apply oil (OE-30) to all threaded areas.
Caution: Do not use grease on this relief
Fourth echelon maintenance personnel are authorized to
valve during reassembly.
replace the fitting, elbow, name-plate, shell, baffle
assembly, cap and required hardware.
(1) Position the preformed packing (13) onto the
and overhaul of the water separator and repair of the
relief valve are authorized at fourth echelon. The water
(2) Position the spring (12) and seat (11) into the
separator, relief valve kit is used to repair the water
separator relief valve.
(3) Screw the fitting (14) into the body