(6) Repair or replace any defective part.
(1) Clean all parts with drycleaning solvent,
d. Reassembly and Installation.
(1) Using new piston rings and the ring ex-
(2) Clean the carbon deposit from the piston.
Clean the piston ring grooves using a broken com-
pander tool, install the expander rings (3), oil ring
(4), compression rings (5) and spacer (6) in the
pression ring sharpened to a bevel edge or a ring
proper grooves. Stagger the ring gaps around the
groove cleaning tool. The oil holes in the bottom
circumference of the piston,
ring groove of the piston must be clean and free of
(2) Install piston pin (7) through the piston
(2) and the connecting rod (8). Install retaining
(3) Inspect the piston for cracks, breaks or
scores. Check the piston ring grooves and lands for
wear using a new piston ring, and feeler gage. In-
rings flush with the piston. Insert the piston and
spect the top of the piston for burned spots and
flaking around the edge. Inspect the piston pin
connecting rod into the top of the engine. Tap the
bearing surfaces for excessive wear or evidence of
top of the piston with a hammer handle and install
the piston into the cylinder until the connecting rod
is seated onto the crankshaft.
(4) Inspect the piston pins and retainers for
excessive wear, distortion and evidence of over-
(4) Install the connecting rod cap. Install new
lockwasher, connecting rod bolt and dipper bolt.
(5) Inspect the connecting rod for breaks,
(5) Tighten connecting rod bolt and dipper
cracks and straightness. Inspect the rod cap bolt
bolt to 90-100 inch-pounds.
and oil dipper bolt for stripped threads or other
(6) Bend lockwasher tangs around bolt head.
damage. Inspect the bearing surfaces on both ends
for excessive wear, scoring and evidence of over-
screws to 25-30 inch-pounds.
heating. The oil passages in the connecting rod
must be free of any obstruction. Install the rod cap
on the connecting rod, torque bolts to 90-100 inch-
(9) Place engine in proper position on com-
pounds and measure the inside diameter (ID). Mea-
pressor unit and install mounting bolts.
sure the ID of the piston pin hole. Proper clearances
(10) Install V-belts and guard.
BEARING CAP ASSEMBLY
The bearing cap assembly houses the ignition
(1) Remove flywheel-fan assembly (para. 6-
generating component consisting of the coil, rotat-
ing magnet, pole shoes and noise filter. Also in-
eluded is the crankshaft main bearing and oil seal.