(3) Inspect the tube for bends, cracks,
fuel tank bracket. Remove fuel tank
(3) Remove fuel tank cap (4) and detach
and other damage. Inspect the fittings
cap from chain. Remove chain from
for damaged threads. Repair or re-
place a defective fuel line.
(4) Remove gasket (3) from filler neck
(1) Position t h e fuel strainer-to-fuel
and remove screen (5) from fuel tank.
B M W - 4 5 2 E N G and BMW-452-ENG-1).
the tube to the fuel pump elbow (42,
fig. 2-7) and
to the fuel
drain fuel into a suitable container.
tubes in a similar manner.
(2) Turn the fuel shutoff valve (18) to
l o c k w a s h e r (2), flat washers (1)
the on position.
and nuts (3) that secure the two fuel
tank straps (5) around the fuel tank
3-35. Fuel Tank, Bracket, and Straps
a. Removal a n d Disassembly
(3) R e m o v e the four screws (9), nuts
O E G - 4 5 8 - N E G - 1 and OEG-458-ENG-2).
the straps (5) to the fuel tank brack-
(4) Remove the wires.
secure the two fuel tank straps (10)
(5) Lift the fuel tank from the brackets.
d. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.
a r o u n d the fuel tank (9) and fuel
(1) Clean the inside and outside of the
tank bracket (14). Remove the two
straps and lift the fuel tank from the
fuel tank and all applicable parts with
an approved cleaning solvent and dry
(3) Remove the air shroud cover (2).
(4) Remove the two capscrews (16) and
(2) Inspect the fuel tank, fuel tank strain-
l o c k w a s h e r s (17) that secure the
er, and mounting components for
cracks, breaks, dents, and other dam-
assembly (19). One of these capscrews
also secures the governor control
(3) Inspect the fuel tank cap and gasket
bracket brace (18) to the cylinder and
(4) Inspect all threaded parts for dam-
(5) Remove the bracket from the engine
and remove the two leather liners
(5) Repair or replace any defective parts
(6) from the bracket (14).
a n d lnstallation (Model
(6) Remove the fuel tank cap (8) and de-
tach the cap from the chain (7). Re-
O E G - 4 5 8 - E N G - 1 and OEG-458-ENG-2).
move the chain from the fuel tank.
(1) Install the fuel strainer pipe nipple
(7) Remove the retainer ring from inside
the fuel tank filler neck and remove
the fuel tank strainer from the tank.
(2) Position the fuel tank strainer inside
(8) Remove the fuel strainer pipe nipple
the fuel tank and install the retainer
fuel tank (2).
b. Removal and Disassembly (Model OEG-
fuel tank (9), Attach the fuel tank.
cap (8) to the chain and install the
(4) Position the bracket (14) on the cy-
( 8 ) that secure the two fuel tank
linder head stud (4) and secure the
straps (9) around fuel tank (6) and