(2) Install the voltage regulator (para 3-
parts for cracks, damage threads, and
(3) Replace all damaged parts.
d. Installation (Model BMW-452-ENG).
3-51. Starter and Mounting Bracket
(1) Position the mounting bracket (22,
a. Removal (Model BMW-452-ENG).
(1) Tag and disconnect the ground strap
cure with the screw (5), lockwasher,
screw, a n d external-
the starter (6).
tooth cupped washer.
(2) Position the starter (6) on the mount-
ing bracket (22) and secure with the
that secure the starter guard (4) to
through bolts (21) .
the air shroud and remove the starter
(3) Remove the through bolts (21, fig.
the screws (3).
(4) Connect the ground strap (8, fig. 3-
the mounting bracket (22) and re-
10) and cable (7)
to the starter (6).
move the starter.
(4) Remove the screw (5), lockwasher,
e. Installation (Model BMW-452-ENG-1).
c o u n t e r s u n k screw, a n d external-
and mounting bracket (5) on the en-
tooth cupped washer that secure the
gine (3) and secure with the screws
mounting bracket (22 ) to the engine
(2) and lockwashers.
(26) and remove the bracket.
(2) Install the oil filler plug and fitting
b. Removal (Model BMW-452-ENG-1).
(1) Remove the drive belt guard (para 3-
(3) Position the starter (1) on the mount-
ing bracket (5) and secure with the
screws, lockwashers, and nuts (6).
(4) Connect the cable (24) and ground
(3) Remove the adjusting strap from the
(5) Install the adjusting strap to the gen-
tor on the mounting frame.
(4) Tag and disconnect the cable (24,
(5) Remove the screws (8) that secure
(7) Install the drive belt guard (para 3-
the starter guard (7) to the air
shroud (12) and remove the guard.
nuts (6) that secure the starter (1)
3-52. Batteries and Cables
to the mounting bracket (5) and re-
move the starter.
(1) Disconnect cables (16 and 17, fig. 3-
(7) Remove the engine oil filler plug and
( 2 ) Remove nut (13) and remove the
and spacers (4) that secure the mount-
(3) Remove the battery (15).
ing bracket (5) to the engine (3) and
remove the bracket.
move ground cable (10). Remove the
c. Cleaning and Inspection.
other cable in a similar manner.
(1) Clean all parts with a cloth dampened
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Testing.
with an approved cleaning solvent
and dry thoroughly.
(1) Clean the cable terminals and battery
(2) Inspect the starter for external dam-
terminals with a wire brush. Wash the
age and corrosion. Inspect all other
battery and terminals with a solution